RE: SPF Setup

2004-10-01 07:03:03
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Anthony Ching
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 2:09 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] SPF Setup

Hi!.

Just a simple question about SPF... Who shld set this up?  Correct me if
I'm wrong, this shld be setup by the one who is hosting my domain.  I
don't have Name Server, I just park my domain to where I registered it.
BTW, Im hosting my own Email and Web.  My Server is checking SPF from
outside. Ironically... my domain has no SPF published....  So, other
Mail server might close their connection whenever receiving our "NO SPF"
mails.

Thanks in advance for your help....

No one is supposed to reject e-mail just because you don't have SPF.  Also,
at this point, if they did, they'd be rejecting almost all the e-mail they
got because SPF adoption is still in the early phase.

I see that you are sending from a dynamic IP.  Depending on how often your
IP address changes, this may make SPF problematic.  If your IP is stable,
you can probably do SPF, but be aware that if your IP address changes, then
there may be a period where your SPF record is out of synch with your mail
server (although you should be notified of any failures, so your mail
wouldn't disappear into the ether).

Your SPF record needs to be added to your DNS information as a TXT record.
Depending on how your DNS provider works, you may be able to add it yourself
through whatever control mechanism they give you.  You may have to ask them
to add it for you.

Scott Kitterman