Re: Unified SPF Algorithm (was: moving on from MARID)

2004-10-02 11:04:49
It passes all the public tests for open-relays we've tried it against, and
we have had very very few reports of mail being targeted against James to
unknown users.
What we see is spam targeted against real users, and as James doesn't imply
real addresses by rejecting RCPT TO they must have been culled from
elsewhere.

That must be unique to your environment.  isite.net domain is nearly 10
years old, and our reject logs for that domain show over a thousand
different addresses are tried in any given 3 day period.  isite.net never
put users in that domain, only staff and role accounts.  32 different
address total over the entire lifetime of that business -- 23 different
users and 9 role accounts (support/hostmaster/postmaster/etc)

isite.net has ALWAYS rejected at the RCPT TO level, and never had a default
recipient.

Current spam volume for isite.net indicates that accepting the data block
for spam to unknown recipients is currently over 100mb / day.

(our current spam control implementation always rejects after DATA, and
we're thinking to change that)

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek