Re: Grant writing volunteer needed for SPF

2004-10-06 13:26:51
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:46:33AM -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:

| Without going into details, I'll advise that you do need to have an
| organization structure with registration in appropriate countries where
| you're seeking grants.

Are you volunteering to be the grant advisor?

If I thought, I could do it, I would volunteer, but I do not have enough
experience in this beyond having worked before with others who were
involved in seeking grants.

I just wanted to point out that government is not going to write you blank
check (in this case blank being who the check is to) and that will ask for
documentation regarding organization that wants to receive its grant.
Without actually having an organization with charter that talks about
organization being dedicated to sponsoring development of internet email
security standards (that being just an example of what they may like to
see ...) and defined organization structure that will make it clear who is
involved and that its not just one-man show but a commited group of very
dedicated people, SPF would probable would not have much chance in
receiving a grant.

Also government agency may sometimes check back on the activites and want
detailed accounting of how the money is being used, that means keeping
detailed records of the organization activities (especially money-wise,
having accountant do it may be needed too) and having organization meeting
records showing that money is not just being distributed by just one person
but based on decisions of the entire organization or its board of directors.

P.S. If you think properly organizing non-profit organization to take care
of open-source internet development project (or similar activites like SPF)
is easy - think again! Most internet projects do not have any legal
organization structure and big reason is management overhead involved
and difficulty of properly maintaining it all. And BTW - IETF is not
actually a legally organized organization in case you dont know!

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks