Meta: Managing the list

2004-10-27 22:42:36
Regardless of where everyone stands on the Sender ID issues, I think we can all agree that the last week or so on the spf-discuss list has been grueling. I am pleased with some of the messages I have seen today, though... it sounds like we may be close to reconciliation, or at least a working cease-fire arrangement :)

A few people expressed frustration at recent list activity, and at least one person talked about moderating the list or controlling it... so let me talk a little bit about list management here. Meng has granted me some control over the list (spf-discuss) and I'm prepared to enforce some rules, if need be. But, neither Meng nor I have wanted to take action to quiet the debate, because stopping debate is not the same thing as coming to agreement or compromise.

I would prefer a mostly hands-off approach to managing the list, and this has worked well on other lists I work on. I would also prefer to manage the list in the way most members want it managed, so I will try to determine as objectively as possible whether there is consensus for list policies. That said, I will also use my own best judgement and discretion in order to try and take care of issues smoothly without putting absolutely everything to a vote.

Let me float some ideas for managing the list and possible guidelines, and see if I'm going down the right path.

1. A charter will be important, both for SPF itself and for the list. The charter for the list may not be the same as the charter for SPF, but it should be compatible. The charter for the list will appear as Guideline #1. A good charter is a useful tool for determining what the topic is, and whether a given message is on-topic or off-topic.

2. Respect the topic. Some off-topic posts are tolerated, and even expected, but if they start to overpower the list and drown out the real topic, the list managers may ask for certain threads to stop, or employ filters to stop them if people get out of control. Also, cooperation of listmembers is essential. If you're posting something that is off-topic, acknowledge that you are doing so, and explain why you think the material is of interest to listmembers even though it is outside the defined topic.

2a. Meta issues are off-topic. Because this is a high-volume large-membership list, it is important to conserve bandwidth whenever possible. If you have a concern about the list, or whether something is appropriate or not, on-topic or not, how subscription works, how archiving works, etc., *raise it to the admins first*. The admins will occasionally start Meta-threads (like this one) but for the most part, list admins will try to resolve administrative issues off-list and not add to the clutter on the list itself. Important policy decisions will be made in the open, but the day-to-day running of the list can be done offline. (The admin address is spf-discuss-owner(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com)

3. Respect each other. Personal attacks, name-calling, insults, threats, and harassment are prohibited. These types of "trigger" behavior are not conducive to "discussion" -- even if your intent is to prove a point, the bad behavior just derails discussion rather than enhancing it. It's OK to disagree with someone strongly. It's not OK to insult them. Saying "You're an idiot" is an insult. Saying what someone else wrote is "crap" or that they probably believe it because they are "ignorant" are also examples of insults. "You are wrong" is borderline -- I would prefer to see people saying "I believe THAT is wrong" rather than "I believe YOU are wrong".

(Note that I didn't say being "offensive" or "rude" is prohibited. They should be discouraged, but they are often hard to be totally objective about. I would rather judge specific behavior rather than overall style, because that is hard to separate from content)

I am interested in getting feedback on this. You can either reply on-list or to the admin list, at your preference. I will summarize the results after receiving most of the responses.

Thanks
gregc