Re: Prefer all these polls and elections on another channel.

2004-11-14 16:03:50
Sunday, November 14, 2004, 5:48:11 PM, Boyd wrote:

BLG> If all these polls and such are going to keep happening I think a new
BLG> channel should be created just for them.  Maybe sfpot or some such.  These
BLG> do relate to SPF but not do it directly so an ot list may be the best
BLG> place for them.  I sure hope this all gets done soon and we can get back
BLG> to working on SPF directly.

I share your concern about the polls, but my solution is that polls be
constructed much less often and with more input from the group to create
the questions that need answering to move forward in cases where there
is complete deadlock.  The new council IMO will be providing
leadership anyway so deadlock should not exist often - though choosing
a no action holding position may also be valid.

A move towards members of the group placing their position and then
defense seems to me a much more productive method for the new council
to gauge concensus.   I note with interest a growing trend where a number
of us have chosen to address only parts of polls and then not with a
restrictive YES/NO reply but inclusion of a third or perhaps fourth
alternate solution.

I'm also hoping that for any substantive discussion that a last call is
made by a moderator so that concensus can be attempted and discussion
closed for a set period.  The constant revisiting of old subjects is
driving me looney <g> and new arrivals can be given the last state
of play so that momentum is maintained and the group becomes less
cluttered with trivia.

Shane