Campaign: If elected I will ...

2004-11-16 21:41:55

If elected I'll try to make sure that decisions and documents that come
from SPF represent consensus of the SPF Community and that our work is
properly and effectively used by ISPs and other organizations to secure
internet email infrastructure.

Short term I believe our goal should be to resolve differences in Wayne's
and Mark's drafts and so council should direct them to work together to
create one spf v1 draft and for parts they can't decide on community should
be consulted for what best represents "Classic SPF". Council should then
work with all authors and with IETF to make sure the draft gets to the
EXPERIMENTAL RFC status.

I also believe that SPF Community should work with those of SPF Community
who try to promote use of SPF and publishing of SPF records but we should
review how this is being done and make sure that how SPF is presented to
end-users (in particular when SPF is being presented as part of some
general framework) do not misrepresent how SPF is supposed to work or
use the protocols of spf records in the way they were not designed for.
If it is found that somebody is using or promoting SPF in the way that is
technically not in accordance with SPF documents or that is otherwise
harmful to email infrastructure, the council should try to talk to
people involved and if situation can not be corrected it should involve
community and media in making public aware of the problems that maybe
caused by inappropriate use of SPF technology.

I consider it also very important that initial council finish organizing
activities of SPF Community and create a charter for this organization
and initial list of community policies in regards to how our work should
be done (probably based on simplified IETF WG policies but with additional
work areas in helping to test and promote implementation of technologies
we work on). I do not agree with those that think that we should continue
in ad-hoc way - I think documenting policies and making them available
helps in resolving potential problems ahead of time and in focusing
community on our goals. Better organization goes long way to create
foundation for stronger SPF Organization that other organizations,
companies and government will be willing to communicate with in regards to
matters concerning SPF technology. Related to this, I think its important
that we establish unified SPF website that can be used as guide to SPF
by new users and by the community and so I'd like to see current
webmasters work together with preferably each one being responsible
for part of the unified website but with same general template and style.

My long term view on what SPF should become, I shared in this post:
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200411/0509.html

Thanks for your consideration and no matter how it goes I'll continue
to do research in email security technologies and believe that SPF will
be a very useful technology in the future that can help secure SMTP
session and provide easy way for domain owners to communicate email
policies and as such I'll continue to work on technical and
standardization aspects related to SPF and its future use.

---
William Leibzon, Elan Networks:
 mailto: william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net
Anti-Spam and Email Security Research Worksite:
 http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/