RE: SPF too late?

2004-11-17 12:13:16
Yes but how much spam does it stop?

It is trivial to obtain a 0% accurate false positive rate or false negative
rate, simply let everything through or reject everything. The real test has
to include both sides of the equation.

The more you know about the definitely good mail, the more discriminatory
you can be on the bad.

I believe that the spam problem will go through a progression as follows:

  * Legitimate senders deploy SPF in large numbers
        * Impersonation spam tactic is defeated
        * Registration of throwaway domains becomes a problem
  * Accreditation technology is deployed in significant numbers
        * Whitelisting of good mail is widely used
        * Spammers send more junk
        * spam filtering thresholds raised
        * Authentication & Accreditation become effectively required
  * Criminal spam problem subsides
        * The junk mail (i.e. non-criminal spam) problem emerges
        * Greater confidence in email leads to more use for junk
        * Email acceptable sender policies are tightened
        * Enterprises start deploying compliance enforcement technologies

While junk mail is spam I think that there are acctually two different
problems here and that two different solutions need to be applied.