RE: HOWTO: track SPF requests to see who says to be you

2004-11-26 07:40:37
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Alex
van den
Bogaerdt
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 8:26 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] HOWTO: track SPF requests to see
who says to
be you

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 08:12:54AM -0500,
terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:

Most domain owners do not have their own DNS server.

For work I have my own DNS server, and I could log just
fine.  But for my *personal* domain names,
they are hosted by a registrar, so I have no way to use the
"exists" clause to log them.

Wouldn't the following work as spf record for your domain?

v=spf1 mx exists:%{r}.%{ir}.logging.yourotherdomain.tld -all

Uh, yes, you are right, that's because I have a domain somewhere that I control
the DNS server for.

You pointed out that even for my personal domains I have a solution.

But for people who do not have *any* domain that they have their own DNS server
for, they are SOL.

But thanks, now I know what my hobby project will be:  Code a web based
interface that displays the
log of specific subdomains.  Trivial on the surface, but if I do it as
authenticated and restricted
to specific subdomains by login, then I can offer it as a free service to
anyone who wants to test
their SPF but does not have their own DNS server to do the logging with.

Or has someone already done this?

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

cheers,
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,