Re: domain name labels are limited to 63 characters

2004-12-02 15:16:00
Wayne wrote:

Actually, I agree.  Like the chopping off parts of labels idea, I
don't particularly like the chopping off part of the spec either.

This is still in the libspf2 doc because various forms of this
"chopping off long domain names" has been in the SPF spec for at least
a year now.  I'm trying to preserve the essence of SPF-classic.

Can anyone give an example of when this chopping is really useful
and/or used in the wild?  If no one uses it, then I could easily be
convinced to chop that part of the spec out.

I don't see either why this could be useful. If the domain name is longer
than 253 characters, then I would simply act as if the domain does not exist
(which is actually the case).

Roger