Re: Re: URGENT: Community Position on SenderID

2004-12-07 12:45:38
Hello!

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:26:29AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 00:53 +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
551 User not local; please try <forward-path>
[...]

You're responsible, otherwise you can reject it with error 551.

I fully support the practice of rejecting mail from domains publishing
'-all' records with a 551 error code if you would otherwise have to
forward it. That's much better than SRS.

Is the format of 551 defined in a way that the original MTA could get
the forward-path in a portable defined way and resend the message to the
new forward-path then, automatically?

If so, I'd actually like this (perhaps even differentiated into
temporarily and permanently moved, like in HTTP). Though in practise,
noone will implement this.

And if I'm an owner of an address mobile(_at_)some(_dot_)where, I perhaps don't
want to have the sender of mail to mobile(_at_)some(_dot_)where receive bounces
telling him, he sould mail to holiday-address(_at_)other(_dot_)where instead.
Cause
next week I might not be comfortably reachable there any more, so the
sender should in fact use mobile(_at_)some(_dot_)where still and get another
redirection.

I.e. that 5xx solution would only be convenient if there were some
HTTP-Redirect like mechanism that keeps the original address e.g. in the
address book of users, and automatically retries the redirect address
that's given in a *current* transaction for the forwarder (redirector)
address.

Kind regards,

Hannah.