Re: RFC 2821 and responsibility for forwarding

2004-12-03 21:29:18
Andy Bakun wrote:

Is it actually impossible to resurrect something that
previous RFCs have depreciated?  Harder than trying to get
something else/new deployed?

More or less, and yes.  For Meng's concept of a "local white
list" you could offer it as an option, if both sides agree to
use it, something like this:

1 - Forwarder accepts MAIL FROM:<me> RCPT TO:<user(_at_)forward>
2 - Forwarder knows that it should relay this mail to say
    RCPT TO:<secret(_at_)buddy>
3 - Forwarder knows that the MX @buddy has white listed his
    HELO forward, and supports source routes (that could be
    stored together with the .forward of user(_at_)forward)
4 - HELO forward MAIL FROM:<@forward:me> RCPT TO:<secret(_at_)buddy>
5 - @buddy recognizes HELO forward and bypasses all further
    SPF tests accepting the mail for secret(_at_)buddy
6 - shit happens (e.g. secret(_at_)buddy over quota), now @buddy
    returns MAIL FROM:<> RCPT TO:<me> back to MX @forward
7 - @forward recognizes HELO buddy and relays the bounce to
    me, all is well

For the last step the white-list has to be mutual.  In Meng's
original concept that's unnecessary, because without a reverse
path the bounce would go directly to my MX in step 6.  Where
is the advantage of adding a reverse route in this scenario ?

The most important point is always the local white list, the
trust between forwarder and the final resp. next destination.

                        Bye, Frank