Re: Re: FYI: Return Path Rewriting (RPR) - Mail Forwarding in the Spam Age

2004-12-07 13:13:14
Hello!

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:48:31PM +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
william(at)elan.net wrote:

For those of you collecting SPF-related links:
 http://www.roe.ch/spam/return-path-rewriting.xml

Interesting, but not exactly what Hannah needs for her millions
of domains if I got it right:  It works for addresses up to 40
characters (incl. "@" replaced by "_").

I haven't counted. SRS0 adds only 13 characters, allowing for 51
characters for the original address (including its '@', which is changed
to a '=', together with the order reversal), so SRS0 seems to be less
bad with that.

For longer addresses the resulting local part would have more
than 23 + 40 characters...  BTW, where can I find this limit of
64 characters for id-left ?

RFC 2821, section 4.5.3.1

                           Bye, Frank

Kind regards,

Hannah.

PS: The pragmatical stand of our company *seems* to be now, we'll
implement SRS some time (probably compatible to the Mail::SRS perl
implementation). If there are receiver MTAs that enforce those 64
characters, we'll just assume that they're also exotic and they will not
check SPF, so we will just disable SRS if the next hop is them.
However, this is no official statement of this company! I'm merely a
software developer there, but with no power to decide, nor any position
of an official representative!