Re: SPF HELO checking

2004-12-10 15:22:40

I agree that Greg's workaround will work, but at the expense of extra dns
request as a result of redirect and this expense applies equally both
to those doing SPF verification on HELO and MAIL FROM (and it also
relies on undocumented technique of considering no local part to be
the same as postmaster)

Since we know that hostnames used in HELO names are usually unique and
not used for MAIL-FROM, it would be better to separate those and so
we'd have "-all" for MFROM scope and then specific HELO SPF record
and in case when they are used together (same name for both mail-from
and in HELO) there would be separate record which is available immedialy
without extra dns lookup.

I beleive we're still at the point where only very few actually published
SPF records for HELO as opposed to SPF record for MAIL-FROM, so it would
not be too late to actually add scope-specific info and do it right from
the start.