RE: Paul G. Pierson

2004-12-17 18:43:39
The lesson to draw from all this is that if you want to be effective in
propagating a standard you need to write test suites.

An SPF test suite would be very nice. It would also effecitvely mean that
control of the test suite was control over the spec.

An email test suite would be even nicer. It would be realy nice if there was
some source that provided a set of tests that could be used to show the
extent to which software complied with a spec and a spec was an accurate
description of what is in use.

We could then draw up a big matrix and work out what the shortest distance
is from where we are to a coherent and consistent set of email specs that do
not do this sort of thing.

The IETF has done a lot of work on mailing lists, most of it entirely wasted
because there was no advocacy, no follow through. There is also the
pervasive problem that if the IETF fiction is followed and nobody represents
any view but his own then the specs were written by 30 bitheads to be used
by like bitheads.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of guy
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 5:45 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Paul G. Pierson

I made a rule that forwarded his mail to him!  But he was
dropped from the list before I got any more email from him.  :(

The mail systems I have used only send 1 out of office
message per person. So each time a different person posted to
the list it caused another out of office message.  Just a
guess in his case.

Guy