Difficulties in specifying SPF TXT records for all A records.

2004-12-20 14:43:17
I work for a company which owns hundreds of domains and thousands of
hosts with A records.  This is probably true with Fortune 500 companies.
To prevent our domains getting spoofed, strictly speaking, we should
publish SPF TXT for all of them.  Otherwise, if a subdomain is spoofed,
it reflects poorly on the domain and the domain owner.

There are practical difficulties in specifying SPF records for so many
DNS entries.  The current SPF TXT specification model does not scale
well for large installations.  Is there a plan to incorporate a default
SPF TXT specification at the zone or at the top domain level?  Such an
arrangement is highly necessary.  What can we do in the interim?

Thanks very much,

Ram

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf