draft-schlitt-spf-02pre1 now available

2004-12-25 23:17:10

First off, I'm sorry that I haven't gotten this SPF spec out sooner, I
should have gotten this out at least a week ago.

Unlike previous versions, I intend to submit this as an I-D to the
IETF.  In particular, I hope to submit it on Monday just to get it
into the I-D queu, but several things need to be cleaned up before I
do so.  For one thing, Meng and MarkL are not listed as co-authors
because I have not gotten permission from them to do so.  I have sent
them both another request for them to say whether they want to be
associated with this or not.

During the last council meeting[1], I promised to get a final draft to
the council by 2005-01-01, which is only a week away.  This is needed
inorder to meet the IETF deadline of 2005-01-05.

So, I'm sorry for leaving so little time, and during the holiday
season no less, for people to review and comment on this draft.

I expect to make another version available sometime next week,
possibly before the meeting on Wednesday, and maybe submit another I-D
on Friday.  I expect that the IETF directorate will have some
suggestions also, so this isn't your last chance to get things fixed,
but it is your last chance before the IETF gets involved again.

The major differences between this schlitt-spf-02pre1 spec and my last
published schlitt-spf-01 spec are:

* Editorial changes, many of which were suggested by Frank Ellerman

* If the SPF record from the zone cut is used, the %{d} is reset as if
  it there was a redirect= modifier that was executed.  Apparently,
  most of the uses of %{d} in the wild are for tracking exists: and
  the earlier semantics worked ok, but studying the other cases,
  changing the %{d} domain looks like it will work better.

* I've taken another stab at the ABNF for the Received-SPF header.
  What I have come up with should allow Received-SPF headers generated
  by the currently deployed systems to remain valid, but it will allow
  future SPF implementations to generate nicer and more consistent
  headers.

* The ABNF for the domain spec has been cleaned up to give a more
  widely used definition of the valid TLDs.  (e.g., I use the same
  ABNF as defined in RFCs describing URLs and such.)

The documents can be found at:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic_libspf2/draft-schlitt-spf-02pre1.html
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic_libspf2/draft-schlitt-spf-02pre1.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic_libspf2/draft-schlitt-spf-02pre1.xml

A unix diff between draft-lentczner-spf-01.txt and
draft-schlitt-spf-02pre1.txt can be found at:
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic_libspf2/spf-lentczner-schlitt.diff.txt

[1] http://spf.mehnle.net/Council_Meeting/2004-12-22