Re: Opinions wanted: forgery notice DSN

2004-12-28 13:33:55
On 28 Dec 2004, Stephen Pollei wrote:

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 11:43, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Here is my new idea: if no identification is provided via SMTP, then
before entering the DATA phase, send a DSN to the MAIL FROM.  The DSN
will say something like this:

I think you need to make sure you don't create mail-loops or nag too
often. Read http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3834.txt -- Recommendations for
Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail - Makes recommendations for
software that automatically responds to incoming electronic mail
messages, including "vacation" response generators, mail filtering
software, email-based information services(Mailing lists which accept
subscription requests via email fall into this category), and other
automatic responders.

It is a DSN.  A DSN cannot (or shouldn't) be replied to.  It would be
no worse than sendmail sending a DSN to say, "I still can't deliver your
mail after 4 hours.  I will keep trying for 5 days."

I'd also think that you should maybe make it probabilistic and set a
maximum daily quota. You don't want to get 500 reply emails.