Re: Re: draft-schlitt-spf-02 now available and submitted to the IETF

2004-12-29 16:35:54
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 02:30:28PM -0600, wayne wrote:

Ok, I understood everything you said, I think, but I still don't see
the point that William was making.

If you are referring to "Hosts do not identify themselve as domains!"
then forget about it: that statement is false.

I've reread rfc1035 and have to admit that it does say that hosts can be
domains. But it also does seem to specify use of the domain as what I'd
call FQDN, i.e. for example:
 <domain-name> is a domain name represented as a series of labels, and
 terminated by a label with zero length.

Where as host can be a single name with no "."

I have to note that this is all inconsistant with what I've seen "domain"
used in the the many years i've been dns admin - i.e. we usually never call
end-point node a "domain" and always call it a host within a domain x.y.z

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks