Re: draft-schlitt-spf-02 now available and submitted to the IETF

2004-12-29 16:22:26
"wayne" == wayne
"Re: Re: draft-schlitt-spf-02 now available and submitted to the IETF"
 Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:30:28 -0600

    >> This may seem nitpicking but since we're going to define a
    >> standard, it is important to get it right.  If we can't even
    >> get DNS right, how are we going to get SPF right when it builds
    >> on DNS ?!?

    wayne> Ok, I understood everything you said, I think, but I still
    wayne> don't see the point that William was making.  The text is:

    wayne> | 1. Introduction
    wayne> |
    wayne> |   The current e-mail infrastructure has the property that any host
    wayne> |   injecting mail into the mail system can identify itself as any
domain
    wayne> |   name it wants.

    wayne> This still seems right to me.  Both MAIL FROM and HELO
    wayne> identities can, and often do, identify themselves as both
    wayne> Fully Qualified Doman Names (FQDN) and Unqualified Domain
    wayne> Names, and hosts can use whatever domain names they want.

Anything other than a FQDN (or an address literal) representing a real
mailbox (MAIL FROM) or a real host (HELO) or an address literal in not
complient with (2)821.

        jam