Re: Zonecuts specified in SPF draft

2004-12-29 20:27:11
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0412291338040(_dot_)2279-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

DNS administrators typically do not see one record applying for everything
else in that zone and for all subdomains. It never happened before and they
will not realize it until somebody tells them. Some will consider it usefull
and some will not but I think majority who add the record will not know
about its "*" applicability. That is why I said that one of the best ways
to use specify "*"-like subdomain "*spf*" or possibly just "**" (this
being more if possibly other applications follow spf on zonecut tests).

Well, things like the SOA record and the NS records apply to all
subdomains that are within the same zone.

There certainly is a lot of ignorance and misunderstandings with
respect to the DNS system among many (most?) people.  It is my opinion
that most people assume (possibly incorrectly) that if the put an SPF
record in the domain, they cover all subdomains.  Mind you, most
people probably don't have a clear understanding of what a "subdomain"
is.

-wayne