Re: draft-schlitt-spf-02 now available and submitted to the IETF

2004-12-30 00:57:36
A few comments: I apologize if this was already addressed:

In section 2.5.4 Fail:

There are two issues:

1) The perception that extended response code is recommended and should be
used.
2) The reality of senders who don't properly handle multiple response lines.

Even though it does say *SHOULD*,  it is described as if extended DSN CODE
is a requirement.  With the only example shown,

    550-5.7.1 SPF MAIL FROM check failed:
    550-5.7.1 The domain example.com explains:
    550 5.7.1 Please see http://www.example.com/mailpolicy.html

a developer might get the idea that SPF is "enforcing" or encouraging
extended responses codes, when in fact, the following is also perfectly
valid:

    550- SPF MAIL FROM check failed:
    550- The domain example.com explains:
    550  Please see http://www.example.com/mailpolicy.html

I say this because not all software is ready to support extended response
codes, including our own at the moment.  If we were to add it for SPF, then
we will force to add it for everything else, not something we wish to focus
on at this time.   The point is,  this is not required for SPF
compliance/purposes.

In addition, a single response line is very appropriate as well.  There are
many spammers who are using software who simply do not honor multiple
response lines and might happen is that they will retry again and again
causing unnecessary overhead.

I don't think it is worded right and there are 4 possible implementations

   1) Must use a 55x response code range
   2) Should (recommend) use a specific 550 response code
   3) Optionally using extended DSN codes,
   4) Using single or optionally multple response lines.

It should be clear any are appropriate response methods from an SPF
compliancy standpoint.  The "extra' stuff is still that - extra and
optional.

In 2.5.6 TempError

A example of what "transient error" means.   I presume this means a DNS
lookup error.  Correct?  In either a case, transient error needs to be
defined.

Thats it for now :-)

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO