Re: draft of email security glossary for review

2004-12-29 23:02:33

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, wayne wrote:

Again: I think you are confusing zones, domains and other related
stuff.  If you are going to present it as a fact sheet, make sure
you get it right.

I have to agree with Alex here.  Your definitions of Host, FQDN,
Domain, zone, etc. are very different from my understanding of the
terms.  My understanding seems to be much closer to Alex's.

I've now updated dns terms (except zone) based on the discussions on this
list. Check the latest glossary and tell me if people here still have problems
- http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/eglossary.htm

I will add another thing:

Host: A computer attached to the internet.  A host may have one or
more names.  A host may also have one or more interfaces (IP address),
although hosts with more than one interface is also often called a
gateway.

I have used modified version of the above text as new term and made
reference from DNS HOSTNAME to that. Hope its ok with you Wayne?
(and actually I've used your definition from spf in one other place
but dont remember which one now...)

Now can people please comment on actual email and spf related terms, which
include SPF, RMX, DMP, LMAP, SID, CID, PRA, SRS, SES, MARID, Bounce
Address and others (there are total over 250 terms in the glossary).

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net