Re: draft of email security glossary for review

2004-12-30 01:46:09
william(at)elan.net wrote:

Now can people please comment on actual email and spf related terms, which include SPF, RMX, DMP, LMAP, SID, CID, PRA, SRS, SES, MARID, Bounce Address and others (there are total over 250 terms in the glossary).

First of all, thanks for assembling this glossary.

I tried to locate Sender-ID and Caller-Id as such and couldn't find them at first. It would be nice to have them linked to the SID and CID entries.

Some minor problems (sorry for bringing these up, but as I'm not a native English speaker, they make it more difficult to grasp the meaning, and I might be totally wrong here)

- C/R, last line, s/ them / their /
- DER, 2nd line, s/reference to/a reference to the/ (if I understand correctly)
- DNS HOSTNAME, 2nd line s/then one hostnames/than one hostname/
- DOMAIN 2nd line s/ separate / separated /
- DRONE, 3rd line, s/ then / than /
- ESMTP, 3rd line, s/ it / its /
- F/OSS, the definition of "free" given by http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html is not the same as yours (but I don't want to start a flame war here) - GREYLISTING, I think your last sentence is misleading as it seems to imply that if the server is retrying, then the mail is considered to be SPAM (I would remove the part in parentheses and possibly add a link to http://greylisting.org/ )
- HIJACKING, 1st line, s/ then / than /
- HOST, 2nd line, s/ then / than /
- IIM, 1st line, s/ Identfied / Identified /
2nd line, s/ and they /. That /
- INTERNET, 1st line, s/refers  network/refers to a network/
- LMAP, 4th lines, s/iwas/was/
- MOSS, s/obsolute/obsolete/
- Confirmed OPT-IN, it's difficult to understand, I would suggest:
A term indicating that opt-in subscription was confirmed by the user. Typically it involves sending a verification email to the user requesting some action (such as replying to the verification email or visiting some website). Positive action from the user is interpreted as a decision to subscribe.
- OSS, 3rd line, s/ then / than /
- PATH, 2nd line, s/involved/involve/
- Path Authentication, 4th line, s/ then / than /
- PGP, 3rd line, s/uses/used/
- PKI, the sentence is not complete
- ZOMBIE, 2nd line, s/ then / than /

There are also several places where I would add "the" or "a".

Best regards,

--
Rene Barbier