Re: draft of email security glossary for review

2004-12-28 03:39:36
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:08:32PM -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:

  > You talk about DNS domains as a group of records.  I think this is
  > not correct.
  > In "inmail-backup1.elan.net", this entire name is a DNS domain,
  > so are "inmail-backup2.elan.net" and "inmail-backup3.elan.net".
  > The way you describe it, the domain would be "elan.net".
  >
  > DNS ZONE has a similar problem.

  DNS domains are in fact groups of HOST records and DOMAIN is something
  that has been delegated within DNS hierarchy (i.e. its what is pointed

Again: I think you are confusing zones, domains and other related
stuff.  If you are going to present it as a fact sheet, make sure
you get it right.

You are describing a ZONE and are calling it a domain. That in
itself is not wrong, because a zone _is_ a domain.  However, it
is not true that a domain must be a group of hosts.

inmail-backup1.elan.net is ALSO a domain.

Zones are where delegation occurs.  This is part of the DNS-tree
that is delegated to another authority, it has a SOA record.

Starting somewhere inside the DNS-tree, follow the entire path
upto the root and concatenate every LABEL you find (separated
by dots) to get a domain.

A hostname is just one kind of domain.

A hostname is always a domain;  domain is not always a hostname

See rfc 1035, section 3.1 (and the rest of the doc)

Alex