Re: Undefined symbols SPF_<blah> in libspf2-1.2.0

2005-02-07 17:15:46
Hi...

I get the feeling that no-one is working on libspf2 anymore. It appears the last time the source was touched was Aug 31, 2004.

The libspf2.org website has been abandoned too.

I do get the wrong impression sometimes, so if anyone is working on it, a show of hands would be appreciated.

I would like to help the devel effort too. Effort? What effort?

Around the same time (early September 2004), the following things were happening:

- MARID group was disbanded.
- Open source Sender-ID milter for sendmail was announced http://sourceforge.net/projects/sid-milter/ (Looks like a one-man effort)
- Microsoft issued a Sender-ID pattent application
- Apache said they want nothing to do with it.
- Sendmail said they want some of it.
- The SPF founder also wanted some of it, so he married SPF and Sender-ID
- The technical experts here and elsewhere said it's a bad idea (more words than that, of course)
- The adoption rate of SPF went from strong to limp over-night.

How all of these events and others relate, I don't fully understand myself. It almost looks like the pattent issue on Sender-ID killed SPF. It makes no sense, I know...

All in all, I think it would be awsome to put SPF back on track.

Thanks,
Radu.

ecsd(_at_)transbay(_dot_)net wrote:
I'm trying to compile libspf2-1.2.0. If compilation is failing on a tool
I don't need, I can delete compilation of that subdirectory. But the missing symbol definitions affect more than just that tool - it's a more fundamental
problem that the symbols SPF_* are not anywhere defined. That's the problem
I have - I don't care about spfquery per se.

I find it hard to believe that nobody else has run into this? It seems a header
file is missing - one that defines the symbols SPF_*. /That/ is the problem
I have - and libspf2 won't compile at all as is.

-ecsd

p.s. I can return to re-fetch the source to see if someone's fixed that omission.
1.2.0a?

=====

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf