Re: Handling of -all

2005-02-10 13:58:34
Dear fellow SPF list members,

Please allow me to echo and expand upon what I gather is Rene Barbier's view.

My company adopted and published SPF records for domains it operates with the fundamental understanding that the FIRST goal of SPF was to protect the reputation of the company's domain names. I understood that in publishing with the -all record syntax as shown below, I was ensuring that if anyone appropriated a domain name that was under the control of my company's DNS servers to include without permission in their message as the FROM address, the receiving SPF aware MTA / SMTP server would to perform a lookup for the DNS txt record of the domain and determine that the message did not come from my company. Period.

In publishing an SPF txt record for a given domain as follows:
v=spf1 redirect=_spf.example.com
and the SPF txt record for the redirect record of _spf.example.com reads:
v=spf1 -all

my company is telling any parties checking (and fully expect them to understand in publishing the above) that this domain does not send email messages at all - EVER. Therefore, what I also expect to happen is that a receiving MTA / SMTP server will simply junk anything seen with a FROM address using that domain or any sub domain in it.

No Delivery to its users, No Relay to anyone else, No Bounce to my company. Just drop the message.

The company is saying that the receiving SPF aware MTA has a 100% certainty the message it just received is bogus garbage, so just shred the garbage which the misanthrope responsible just sent to the MTA (and optionally report the IP address it came from to appropriate sources), because garbage is exactly what the MTA just received, if the above referenced DNS SPF txt record syntax is published for one of my company's DNS controlled domains.

I think that pretty much is what SPF was originally represented as offering. If you remove that ability as a basic starting point, you have emasculated the entire SPF system to the point of being useless for its original purpose. Obviously, any deceitful curs of questionable parentage who steal other's domain names for use in emails they issue would be delighted to see that happen as well as anything else which retards progress or successes in getting SPF popularized and universally adopted.

From my selfish publisher perspective, absolutely any and all other issues are moot, if the basic premise of the SPF system is no longer applicable. At that point, we might as well just pack our bags and leave the project and I for one have no intention of doing that. The base stated functionality of SPF MUST supercede any other concern without exception.

If a potential implementing adopter has a problem with that, then they should establish an acceptable syntax for a next generation / version SPF and not implement their own DNS SPF txt records until such a syntax which works for their environment is adopted.

If a domain holder publishes a DNS txt record for SPF and uses the -ALL syntax, please respect their wishes.

IMO, anything else is a misrepresentation of SPF's purpose and just plain wrong to do, so please just believe those of us who adopted and published DNS SPF txt records with that basic understanding of SPF's fundamental purpose and function.

Please just take SPF publishers at our (DNS SPF txt published record) word.

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster(_at_)Commerco(_dot_)Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/