Re: Status of Email Authentication

2005-02-18 14:10:23
At 05:57 PM 2/16/2005 -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:56:07 -0700, David MacQuigg wrote:
>  I would like to get comments on the article
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_Authentication

David,

i'll try to take a look, over the next few days.

you might want to take a look at:

        <http://bbiw.net/specifications/draft-crocker-email-arch-02.html>

Dave,

I got the latest draft -03 from ietf. Excellent work!! The only thing I see that might need some discussion is the inclusion of Packet Switches in the same category as User Mediators (section 2.2.3). It seems to me these deserve a footnote at best, explaining that they are transparent to mail protocols, and can be ignored in these discussions. I apologize if this has already been discussed, as I have not had time to review earlier discussions.

I've made some changes in my Wikipedia article, to make it conform better with the terminology in your draft. I put the changed section temporarily at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~edatools/etc/Email_Authentication_01.htm This is the only section I have some doubts about, so if you don't have time to look at the whole article, just this section would help. Comments from you or others on this list will be appreciated. I'm shooting for as much simplicity as possible without missing something important.

Is there any work yet on a standard for how Mediators should handle authentication of the sender ( SRS, Resent-From, ???) ? Seems to me a simple standard here would get us past the petty arguments over details. I really don't care which method we chose, as long as it works. I've assumed a very simple method in my article, but with a footnote that this section should be changed when we have a real standard.

-- David

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq at gain.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *