Re: URGENT: Community Position on SenderID

2005-02-23 18:59:27
wayne wrote:

 [RfC status and normative references]
This interlocking mess of dependencies means that almost
nothing can advance from Proposed Standard until the entire
mess advances.  This has created an informal understanding
that some Proposed Standards are *wink wink* better than
other Proposed Standards and even better than Internet
Standards.

Makes sense.  OTOH it pleases me to say that STD 10 and STD 11
with their "reverse paths" used to work where [RfC mumble]
introducing a "just change the RCPT TO and forward" failed
miserably.  [RfC mumble] wasn't 2822, IIRC Tony Finch posted
the correct magic number on the SMTP list in a dicussion with
Dave Crocker and me about an old mail-arch draft.

Unfortuately this [RfC mumble] was the second part of a valid
Internet STD, so I can't claim that all "forwarders" are just
STD-ignorants. ;-)
                   Bye, Frank