Re: Official website: Requirements, Contents, Solutions

2005-02-27 03:01:35

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Mehnle" <j(_dot_)mehnle(_at_)buero(_dot_)link-m(_dot_)de>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:54 PM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Official website: Requirements, Contents, Solutions

Hi all.

(I thought I had successfully posted this message on last Monday already,
but a disk problem, which I'm currently still working to repair, has
apparently caused my mail server to lose at least half a dozen messages.
Now that I looked closer, it seems my website proposal was one of them, so
I'm now sending it again.  Until I get my mail server back up running,
I'll have to resort to using my work address, in case you wonder.)

As per council resolution #14[1], I have worked out a plan for a new
official website for the SPF project.  My findings follow.  Please add
your suggestions and general thoughts.  Please reply in distinct threads
for "Requirements", "Contents", and "Solutions", and remove the other two
uninvolved keywords from the subject.

Requirements
------------

Above all, I think the website must fulfill at least the following
requirements (in no specific order):

 1. Reliable and secure.
    The site must of course withstand medium to heavy load, e.g. from DoS
    attacks, and it must be secure against other sorts of attacks, too.
 2. Multiple editors.
    For maintainability reasons, multiple editors must be supported in a
    convenient way.  At least the council members plus one or more
    delegated web master(s) should have edit access.
 3. Informative and concise.
    The site must have a clear structure, and all SPF-related information
    must be directly accessible from it.  (See below for a discussion of
    the contents.)
 4. Current.
    The site must be kept current.  Having multiple editors is a good
    basis for that.
 5. Cheap (including bandwidth).
    The site must be affordable for the project, so donations of hosting
    and bandwidth are probably required.
 6. Independent.
    The site must not depend heavily on the goodwill of individual
    persons.  That is, regular backups must be made and the site's domain
    must be owned by the project or a person trusted by the community
    (perhaps Meng?).

NO - I disagree entirely.  Meng has nailed his colours to the MS mast and
should be specifically excluded from being in sole control of *anything* to
do with SPF.  I have offered many domains, and I have offered to move them
as needed.  We only need Meng to point spf.pobox.com at the new website.

7.  Mirrors - the site should be mirrored across the world.

Contents
--------

I think the website should contain at least the following information and
tools:

  * Documentation:
    * Introduction:  An introduction to what SPF is and where to continue
      reading.
    * Vision:  A description of the long-term vision of SPF, sender
      authentication, and reputation systems.
    * Best Practices:  Best practices for domain owners, MTA operators,
      ISPs, and end users.
    * FAQs
  * News and Statistics:  News about everything SPF, and statistics on the
    adoption and accuracy of SPF.
  * Discussion:  Mailing lists (subscription info and archives), and
    perhaps moderated "page footer" discussions for certain parts of the
    site.
  * Specifications:  The current SPF specification, a list of all the
    previous drafts (with classifications), and links to SPF-related
    specifications.
  * Implementations:  The reference implementation with documentation, and
    a comprehensive and non-discriminatory directory of real SPF implemen-
    tations.
  * Tools:  A wizard for creating SPF records and tools for testing
    existing records for correctness, robustness, and performance.
  * Links to professional support:  Where can professional support for
    deployment and development be obtained?
  * The SPF Council:  A space for the SPF Council's work, like the current
    council website[2].
  * Votes and Elections:  Information on community (at-large) votes and
    council elections.
  * Related Solutions:  Explanations on how related solutions (Sender-ID,
    IIM/DomainKeys, PGP/S/MIME, etc.) fit in the great scheme of things.
    Links to these related solutions.

Existing websites
-----------------

There are a number of existing websites providing a lot of useful
information.  Unfortunately, they are separate and not linked well.  To
provide an overview of the SPF website scene, this is a list of sites,
including a summary of the sites' respective contents:

  * http://spf.pobox.com (Meng Weng Wong)
    * News
    * Statistics
    * A record creator wizard
    * Specifications (SPF and related)
    * List of implementations
    * Documentation
      * Overview
      * Vision
      * Best Practices
      * FAQs
    * Links to other solutions (Sender-ID, etc.)
  * http://spf.mehnle.net (Julian Mehnle)
    * Information about the council and its work
    * Basic news
  * http://www.schlitt.net/spf (Wayne Schlitt)
    * Council IRC logs
    * Specification drafts of the current official specification series
    * Test suite
  * http://www.openspf.org (James Couzens)
    * Community position on Sender-ID
    * Basic news
  * http://www.spf-help.com (John Pinkerton)
    * News
    * Statistics
    * List of record creators and testers
    * Specifications (SPF and related)
    * List of Implementations
    * Documentation
      * Overview
      * Vision
      * Best Practices
      * FAQs
    * Links to other solutions (Sender-ID, etc.)
  * http://www.spftools.net (James Couzens)
    * FAQs
    * Record creator and tester
    * Statistics
    * Header-based SPF checker
    * Wiki with more stuff (closed)
  * http://www.libspf.org (James Couzens)
    * An SPF implementation
    * Documentation
  * http://www.libspf2.org (Shevek & Wayne Schlitt)
    * An SPF implementation
    * Documentation

Solutions
---------

There have been multiple offers for the hosting and maintenance of, and
donation of domains for, an official web site for the SPF project.  Could
those whose offers still stand please reaffirm their offers?

Based on that, I'd like you, the community, to informally "nominate"
solutions (i.e. hosting, software to be used, domains).  The council shall
then, after no more than two weeks of community-wide discussion (i.e.
around 2005-03-09), choose one of the nominated solutions and implement
the new official website, possibly delegating one or more dedicated web
masters (similar to the delegated mailing list masters).

This is my personal nomination:

For the software, I suggest using the enhanced UseMod Wiki software that
is already being used on the council website[2].  It is Perl-based, simple
to install on many platforms, very easy to use, and quite flexible.  It
supports anonymous read-only and authenticated read-write access.  It
inherently versions the content and provides a public change log.  It also
has a plugin feature so tools like record creation wizards can be easily
integrated.

Even though a proper second-level domain may be chosen (I don't have an
idea yet which one), I'd like to suggest that the new website also keep
being reachable under the URL <http://spf.pobox.com> since this URL is a
known quantity.

Julian Mehnle,
SPF Council Member.