Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-27 09:03:51
Mark wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]
On Behalf Of Lennon - Orcon
Sent: zaterdag 26 februari 2005 12:18
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

Another problem (little)

Getting a few of these type of thing..

Feb 26 13:46:55 dbmail-mx4 sm-mta[16402]: j1Q0kopx016402:
ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<rochelleandpeter(_at_)xtra(_dot_)co(_dot_)nz>,
relay=[210.54.64.175], reject=451 4.7.1 Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why(_dot_)html?sender=rochelleandpeter(_at_)xtra(_dot_)co(_dot_)
nz&ip=210.54.64.175&receiver=dbmail-mx4.orcon.co.nz:DNS
error while looking up 175.64.54.210.in-addr.arpa PTR:SERVFAIL

It is possible to make SPF not do this checking and allow
sendmail do it?

As per the specs, rejecting is up to the MTA:

2.5.6  TempError

   A TempError result means that the SPF client encountered
   a transient error when performing the check.

OK ... 'TempError' results from a 'transient error'.

I suppose that a 'transient error' is some error condition
that has caused a failure and cannot be corrected, but will
not be an error condition at some future time.

Right?

I don't see how it could be possible for the SPF client
to determine NOW that the error will be corrected in the
FUTURE?

The terms 'TempError' and 'transient error' bother me
by being too imprecise.

Perhaps 2.5.6 should be called 'Incomplete'.  As an
example, that could occur if the SPF client was unable
to get any DNS response.

Could we consider this rewording?

        2.5.6  Incomplete

        An Incomplete result means that the SPF client
        encountered an error that prevented it from
        performing the check.  Checking software may
        be configured to accept or temporarily reject
        the message.  If the message is rejected during
        the SMTP transaction for this reason, the
        software SHOULD use an SMTP reply code of 451
        and, if supported, the 4.4.3 DSN code.

[snip]

- Mark
---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

FedEx might call it 'code' ...
System Architects use the term 'Specifications'

--
Martin G. Diehl

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick