Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-25 01:26:27
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

At 01:24 AM 2/23/2005 +0100, Alex wrote:

Trace headers have a long history...  Are you sure this is "new" ?

Using Received: headers is certainly a possibility, but I think there may
be a problem with too many variations in existing formats, and the need to
cram in more information to support authentication protocols.  As I
understand it, the format of the these headers is not adequately
standardized.  If we try to define it more precisely, we may break existing
programs.

RFC2822 defines the Received header as follows:
received  =  "Received:" name-val-list ";" date-time CRLF
I can't find anything further on the details of the name-val-list.  Has
this been formalized in some other document?

Read RFC2821, you'll find it defined in better detail there with list of
some possible tag names with possible standard values.

Also see
http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/draft-leibzon-emailredirection-traceheaders-00.txt
as it defiens header specifically for storing info on forwarding/redirection

Using this info for anything but trace is really bad idea because its
herecy data and as such can not be trusted and used for true security
system (ask any security expert and he'd have a lot to say how bad it is).

Note that I have not had time to follow this thread in full as I'm
traveling and in another continent/country, I'll rereread and may post
more detailed answer when a return next week.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks