Re: Re: DNS lookup limit?

2005-02-27 17:17:17
On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 07:00:06PM -0500, Radu Hociung wrote:

I think we need to define two levels:

minimum requirement = "no one stops validating after less than X"
max recommendation = "probably no-one does more than Y queries"

For any set of values where X != Y:
This is where the unreliability of email starts.

Seriously: I think there should be no "min" and "max" limit.
There should be a specification; no less no more.

If there is a gray area, people _will_ end up in there.
Then the publisher is right (X < number of records <= Y)
and the recipient domain is also right (number of records
is above the domain's limit (X <= limit < Y)

"Hey Mister, you said I could have $foo records according to
the spec ?!?"  `Yes, that's correct but they are allowed to
check no more than $(foo-1) so your record doesn't work in
this specific case'

Try that to explain...

Alex