Re[2]: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-28 08:53:08
SDG> So tell me again why we need those "Bounces"?  As far as I can see, the
SDG> problem is sending a "Bounce" instead of a DSN.

Eh what?  A bounce *is* a DSN - specifically, a "failure DSN", as
opposed to a "success DSN" or a "Delayed DSN" or whatever other DSN's
there are...  There's no way to easily tell these babies apart (they
all seem to take different formats depending on the MTA; and remember
that you can potentially get one DSN that's got a success *and* a
delay *and* a failure all at once (if you had CC'd 3 or more people in
the same organization for instance).

Maybe if you knew what kind of DSN (if any) you'd asked for
originally, and uses some kind of SRS so you know when the DSN comes
back which email of yours it's referring to, it might help you?

And of course there's broken MUAs and MTAs out there that deliver
MDN's to the DSN address incorrectly, and/or format MDN's as if they
were DSN's, etc etc...