Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-28 13:04:18
At 02:26 PM 2/28/2005 -0500, you wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

> Again, a reputable Forwarder will find Bounces not an annoyance, but a
> valuable statistical sample of the particular type of spam that is most

Yes, that is what DSN is for.  So tell me again why we need "Bounces"?

In the example I gave the DSN would go to the Return-Path ( amazon.com ). A Bounce ( spam reject ) would go to the previous Forwarder ( pobox.com ). The address for a DSN is the Return-Path as it should be. Even if amazon.com is a forged path, sending them a DSN does no harm. The best address for a Bounce is the previous Forwarder. We cannot rely on any "chain-of-trust" back to the Sender. We cannot send it to the Return-Path because that is most likely forged. The key difference is in the *routing* of the two types of messages.

To summarize, we need to allow Bounces because they will happen anyway. and because they have a great value to Recipients and to Forwarders who might want to improve their blocking and filtering. The problems of the past can be avoided if we provide a good alternative. The only change we need is to send Bounces to a different address than is currently used for DSNs.

We probably should call these "Rejects", but there may be some confusion with SMTP Rejects.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *