Re: Re: Microsoft SMTPSVC and DSNs

2005-02-28 11:04:33
Peter Karsai wrote:

Heh.  Almost a violation of RFC 1891:

(c) is stable, in that a failed attempt to deliver a DSN should never
 result in the transmission of another DSN over the network,

And it does not cause. IIS SMTP does not generate email loop this way.

however, definitely in direct violation of:

NOTE: A DSN MUST NOT be returned to the sender for any message for
which the return address from the SMTP MAIL command was NULL
("<>"), even if the sender's address is available from other sources (e.g.
the message header).  -- snip!

And IIS SMTP does not return DSN for another DSN.
How does it determine a DSN (to avoid creating a DSN for another DSN)?

The standard method is a null return path -- But if IIS is sending mail which isn't using a null return path, does it have some other method to determine a DSN from a regular message?

--
I walked into a bar the other day and ordered a double.
The bartender brought out a guy who looked just like me.