Re: Status of Email Authentication

2005-03-01 07:40:05

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julian Mehnle" <bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:17 AM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Status of Email Authentication

Dave Crocker wrote:
>  Every incoming email has an IP address that cannot be forged {1}

Actually, IP Address spoofing is already a problem.  Spammers are
stealling portions of IP Address space.

Please tell me, how would you go about "stealing" the IP address
195.30.85.225, for example?

There are several methods. Many involve manipulating routing tables on intermediate connections, so that the traffic goes to a fake such address or is even duplicated to that fake destination so that the traffic can be analyzed and parsed for passwords. (I know at least one company in Boston that sells a snooping device that will easily disassemble and record in separate streams all the traffic of a fully loaded 100 MHz Ethernet connection)

Since most routers have no more security than most FTP accounts, using default passwords, having little shell scripts or configuration tools lying around with the passwords in plain text, and having admins log in remotely over unsecured networks to fix problems and sending passwords in the clear because they use telnet and few routers support SSH, this isn't actually that hard.