Re: the state of the web site updates and some discussion

2005-03-03 12:33:31
Mark Shewmaker wrote:
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 02:11:41PM -0500, Radu Hociung wrote:
Some time ago, I dealt with adorama for some photo gear. My mailserver sends back challenge-response URLs for unknown email senders. Even though several individuals tried to contact me from adorama, they never responded to the challenges.

Side note:  I wouldn't have responded either.  My aversion to
participating in challange-response systems isn't uncommon.

That's fine. In adorama's case, they were prevented by the technology they used. No matter what link I would have sent by email, they could not have viewed it. Let's not make this a discussion about C-R. :)

Out there there may very well be an aversion to visit "come to my website" URLs, that seem to be ever more omnipresent.

Also, I suggest that no partial URLs or anything more complicated than "one link, one page" be used. On the "Brief Introduction" page at www.purl.net there is a download link that resolves with 404 Page not found, which is quite ironic since the goal of the "Brief introduction" is to convince us that "purl"s are eternally valid. The download link even points to the same organization, not to some 3rd party.

Radu.