RE: Re: DNS load research

2005-03-21 19:23:40
No, I'm not over thinking this.  In your example, if I have a TTL of 6
hours, which is not unreasonable, then my DNS server has to recompile my
SPF record and retrieve all of the components of that record every 6
hours.  On the other hand, if I send you an email, you have the SPF
record and all associated information for the same 6 hours, so if you
get another email from me, or simply claiming to be from me, then all of
what you need will be in your cache.  And trust me, I know DNS and the
related protocols quite well and I'm not confusing client with server.
You need to keep in mind that more than one authoritative DNS servers
may be involved in the resolution of an SPF record.  In my example,
there is my authoritative DNS server and my email service provider's
authoritative DNS server.  And there could be more.  I could have my
own, my ISP's, a colocation facility and an outsourced marketing
partner, among others.  I have no control over their DNS configuration,
including TTL's which they could set at 60 seconds for all I know.

And all of this is for practically NOTHING.  Bandwith and processing is
cheap.  Simplicity is priceless.  In another email, someone said that
the reason for SPF was efficiency.  I counter that it is for the
efficiency of the people involved--not the machines.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Guy
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 5:19 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Re: DNS load research

You are over thinking on this!!!

Yes, your DNS server will cache some stuff that it may not normally
cache.
The same thing happens when you go to a web site you normally don't go
to, or when you receive spam from someone that you don't normally
receive from.
Why is this a problem?  If the info is dropped from the cache, then it
will be retrieved when needed, why is this a problem?  Is your TTL just
a few minutes?  If so, set SPF-FETCH = no.  Problem solved, but no
benefits from compiling (in your example). :)

The TTL on the compiled SPF record can not exceed the TTL of any source,
so when anything else expires, so does the compiled SPF record!

You said:
"If they happen frequently, then you are increasing the liklihood that
the record is already in cache.  As you said: "I think the DNS cache is
good enough.""

You are taking my comment out of context!

I said:
"I did not intend a DNS server to compile other people's SPF records.
However, maybe that is a viable option also.  I think the DNS cache is
good enough."

I am comparing the cache to the compiled SPF record on the receivers DNS
server.

Maybe you are mixing client and server.

My client (someone that receives email from me) will not benefit from me
having stuff in my DNS server's cache.  This is why it helps to compile
the SPF record.  I can give them a record that does not need any extra
lookups, or at least less lookups.  In your example, 0 extra lookups.
However, my cache will prevent extra lookups when my DNS server compiles
my SPF record.
My client would not care about my DNS cache.

My client would not compile my SPF record since once they retrieve my
record, they have the info in the cache.  If they were to need my record
again, it would be in cache regardless if it was compiled or not.

I hope I made this clear.  Maybe not.  :(  Remember, there are at lease
2 DNS servers involved when sending an email.  The sender's DNS server
and the receiver's DNS server.  I guess sometimes they could really be
using the same DNS server, but I believe that would be the exception!

Guy