Re: spf cookbook

2005-03-26 12:37:34
Andy, I'll be glad to help with this. My suggestion is to keep it short, concentrate on simple examples, and add more complex stuff later. 90% of admins setting up an SPF record will probably not read a manual. More likely, they will start by running a webtool and looking at some examples. I'm thinking of something like mxtoolbox.com, but with a few more buttons and one more textbox, where we can show the final compiled record. This webtool should have the same user interface as a tool they can download and install on their own server.

We should write the manual with the webtool in mind, so we can just copy examples into the tool. We might even make the manual an HTML document. Then we can link from the tool directly to sections in the manual.

The first example should have nothing but an IP address. Edit the form, putting in your own mail-server address, press a button and see a properly formatted SPF record for your server in the textbox below.

The next example might have a +mx item. The "description" field next to that item has a brief explanation, and a "What's This" button leads to a more complete explanation, including motivation - "Why do we need this?"

At this point, and before getting into more complex syntax, we could have an example of a big record with lots of ip4's, maybe large enough to generate an m=ip/block in the compiled record. We'll find an example like rr.com but even bigger, to make the point that you can set up some very big domains using only the simplest syntax.

This will get us to the point where the vast majority of domains can set up their records correctly and efficiently. The more complex syntax can be an option for those who really want it.