Re: Re: FYI from the I-D factory

2005-03-30 21:17:00
...... Original Message .......
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:37:58 -0700 David MacQuigg
<dmquigg-spf(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
wrote:
At 06:05 AM 3/30/2005 +0200, Frank Ellerman wrote:

some interesting I-Ds I've seen in the last weeks

2005-03-25     52114    draft-otis-mass-reputation-01.txt

The latter is an example for "FUD and flame wars by I-Ds".
Doug should patent this idea if there's no prior art.  Bye.

Nice list.  I'm not smart enough to tell if draft-otis is FUD or real
worries.  I do see that there is a big push to make the DNS queries really
efficient, and capable of withstanding the worst DoS attack
imaginable.  CSV does the authentication check in one query, using an SRV
record.
<http://mipassoc.org/csv/draft-ietf-marid-csv-intro-02.html>http://mipassoc.org/csv/draft-ietf-marid-csv-intro-02.html

As I understand it, the IP addresses returned in an SRV record are single
addresses, and only a few will fit.  There is also some really awkward
re-definition of existing fields in the SRV record.  I think the need for
authentication is universal enough that it deserves its own new record
type.

CSV only deals with HELO/EHLO.  Since so many mail servers have a bogus
HELO/EHLO these days it's near term utility seems questionable.

Scott Kitterman