Re: Why are so many DNS requests necessary at all?

2005-03-31 21:26:33
This is a reasonable question, Rudy.

One can make the assertion that once IP is validated by a domain (the first
time)  it doesn't matter what other domain is used against the same IP.

For this assertion to be untrue, it would have to be the client has been
exploited (open relay for example).  But you will never be able to find this
out unless a statistical based restriction is used (i.e, too many same
client fails).

In other words, once the IP is authorized by SPF,  you have a reduced need
to perform additional SPF lookup when the same client connects.  A time
expiration cached can be used to determine when a refresh check should be
done.

This might be translated to a SPF directive where the policy exposes a
refresh time. However, that would need to be secured with a server overide
refresh time because you don't want a client saying "This record is good for
X months!"

I like the refresh idea because I also think we need a SPF record expiration
concept to help Neutral/SoftFail people get off their butt to finish their
migration plans.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.