Re: Need for Wildcards

2005-04-04 04:27:17
David MacQuigg wrote:

I'm still puzzled as to why we would want wildcards.

It's relevant in two cases:  If you have a lot of "user.isp"
vanity catch-all domains you're not necessarily interested
to create an individual sender policy for each "user.isp".

I think of SPF records as a "license" to operate a public
mail server.  We don't want every subdomain to automatically
inherit the license.

But we still want the FAILs for a forged xxx(_at_)no-such(_dot_)user(_dot_)isp

SPF is about FAILs.  Anything else is only syntactic sugar for
babbling domain owners.  That's not the majority opinion here,
but as a receiver, why should I bother to check SPF or similar
schemes without a decent chance to reject some FAILs ?

                         Bye, Frank