Re: How to use SPF to reject spam

2005-04-05 15:56:06
Mr. Hociung,

Very nice work - a fairly long but entirely worthy read.

At some point it would be interesting to form an aggregated list of scores from various individual reputation scoring data, in a way similar to the way the DShield.Org system works aggregating data on IP problems.

As regards, your remark "the main differentiator of these services will be who they use as rating agents. I'd be perfectly happy with a service that uses cisco.com's feedback, but I don't care for one where Dick and Harry can have a say in." - I have no qualms with any data source, as long as the data source is disclosed and weighted by appropriate metrics.

If a source is unreliable, a data aggregator should adjust their individual metrics to show this and bring that source's net influence in the aggregated trust scoring down. Done properly, Dick and Harry could (and should) have a say if they are legitimate, but would have a near zero say if they are not. It is certainly not to say that I don't trust Cisco (I worked with one of their senior VPs and the wife of another before there ever was a Cisco - they are great professional people and we love their products around here), but I think that any trust system should be open to all parties (not just the biggest ones), weighting each initially the same and allowing the data from each source to determine future weightings given to any given data source.

In a world of aggregated trust reporting data, it would probably also be best to have several data aggregators out there to keep everyone honest in their reporting.

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster(_at_)Commerco(_dot_)Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/