RE: How to steal an IP address?

2005-04-13 09:15:37

Anyone with access to modify routing tables can (at least temporarily) redirect nearby traffic to their copy of that network.

Creative spoofing (IPs, DNS names) will arise and the Internet will be forced to implement asymetric routing with encryption and/or certificates being issued to of all things... Internet routers.

This problem will go beyond IP (to Total Identity Theft) and affect all services as we know them.  Why?  Because it's possible... and profitable!

As long as these two factors are at play it will continue to escalte until (eventually) nothing will be trusted (at face value) until proven to be trustworthy.  But if everthing can be faked, then what is real? And what can be trusted?

In the end; A system that will provide "indisputable indentity to anything anywhere" will solve all these problems at once [once and for all(ways?)]

Until then, we'll keep building (bigger) walls and they'll keep building (bigger) ladders.

Just my thoughts...

-Rudy Gomez

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/ Read the whitepaper! http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription, please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com