Re: How to steal an IP address?

2005-04-13 10:13:56
At 11:02 AM 4/13/2005 -0400, Radu Hociung wrote:

If the world were to adopt IP authorization/authentication schemes like SPF/CSV, without removing the economic incentive for spam, the spammers would put pressure on the next weak point.

I understand that it is difficult to do, but what would it take for a skilled hacker to steal the IP address of an otherwise well protected SMTP server and sell that IP to the spammers?

I think the more likely theft will be of domain names. The biggest so far was described in Panix recovers from domain hijack, John Leyden, The Register, 17th January 2005, <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/17/panix_domain_hijack/>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/17/panix_domain_hijack/

This was done by a con artist convincing a .com registrar that panix was moving to Australia. This is ordinary fraud, nothing special to the Internet. It is the same as convincing the phone company that they should move phone service for a large corporation to some office down the street.

As for "hacker" attacks on DNS, the best documentation I have found is "A Threat Analysis of the Domain Name System" - RFC 3833

Of course, we will always have "man-in-the-middle" vulnerabilities from anyone who has physical access to the equipment or wires. A grad student at the University might get root access to the DNS server for the entire campus, and do what he wants with all their subdomains. This would not allow him to fake amazon.com, however.

Before getting involved in these email authentication efforts, I spent some time studying claims that authentication was useless because of these vulnerabilities. I concluded that the risks of wiretapping, etc. were not something that ordinary spammers and phishers would accept, and we should proceed full ahead with our authentication efforts.

--
Dave