Re: DNS Loading Comparison

2005-04-14 03:40:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
Newsgroups: spf.-.sender.policy.framework.discussion
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] DNS Loading Comparison

2. The Internet is about scaling.  Predicting the future is always risky
and
it is particularly difficult for the Internet, since there is no way to
guarantee the behavior of future, independent entities.  So Internet
planning
is about scaling.  To quote Paul Vixie: what happens if everyone on the
Internet uses the mechanism?  What happens if the Internet is 10, or 100
or
1000 times larger?

Then the problem of overhead become one of redundancy.

CSV requires far more of an infrastructure change, so if we are going into
this direction we might as well rewrite SMTP and do it right where
scalability, overhead and redundancy is addressed and is part of the new
security design considerations.  CSV still suffers from a chicken and egg
problem and you don't take that serious and blew it aside, yet talk about
scalability?  Make up your mind.

Scratch your head on this:  The day "everyone on the internet uses" CSV and
mandates verifiable FQDN for client machines across the board, is the day we
don't need it any more.

http://www.santronics.com