Sender's Identity Declaration

2005-04-14 07:17:18
At 08:04 AM 4/14/2005 -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
From: "David MacQuigg" <dmquigg-spf(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>

> A sender must flag an identity in one of the existing email commands,
> or it
> may add a new one.  To flag an identity, put the string *ID* after
> the declared name.
>
> HELO  my-company.com  *ID*
> MAIL FROM: bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)my-company(_dot_)com
>
> To use an identity different than one in either command, add ID=<identity>
> after either of the commands.

First, this is only for ESMTP domain literals

        EHLO domain-literal [string]

HELO only systems does not expect this.

Second, if a systems must make an significant non-backward compatible
change, when why bother with any of this at all and just change SMTP
altogether?

The best implementation will be the one which has minimum impact on existing standards or practice, and still fulfills the requirement of allowing the Sender to declare its ID, independent of any particular authentication method.

If you want to do stuff like this then use the ESMTP framework.  That is
what it is there for: to provide Extended SMTP (ESMTP) commands.

    C: EHLO my-company.com
    S: 220-domain, Hi there!
    S: 220-MYID
    S: 220 HELP
    C: MYID *ID*
    S: 250 Cool!
    C: MAIL FROM: bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)my-company(_dot_)com

Good suggestion!!  I thought I had the best implementation, but this is better.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

--
Dave