Re: Email Authentication - choice of words

2005-04-16 20:19:24
First,  this is not a discussion group about CSV.  Can you stop talking
about CSV here?  CSV has yet and will never get seriously implemented so
please stop talking like it is at the same level of maturity of SPF.  Stop
throwing dirt into the water by comparing it to SPF .  THIS FORUM  IS ABOUT
SPF,  NOT CSV!

Non SPF Topics aside........

Authentication vs. Authorization.

What is so difficult to understand here?

A SPF checker attempts to authenticate a sender by checking the SPF policy
of a domain which authorizes the machines allows to send mail.

So the SPF policy Authorizes.  The checking process Authenticates. Whether
the results are to be trusted, is a different concept altogether.   In the
end,  after you authenticate a sender, the sender is then authorized to send
mail.

Rephrase in general terms:

Authentication is the process of checking or verifying an entity using some
form of integrity information such as an authorization policy.

----
Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com