Re: -01pre5 (was: -01pre4)

2005-05-03 23:38:13
In <427865CA(_dot_)55F9(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

Apparently you have _completely_ ignored all points in my
-01pre2 report, I've already found three old issues up to
line 636.  See below for this short first part, bye, Frank

I did not ignore all of your suggestions.  I didn't apply all of them
either.  I think it would be more productive to discuss them here
though, than via private email because I would like other people's
input about what stuff is important, and what isn't.

-01pre5 nits in no particular order:

*  Please add a short "document history" with the modifications since
   draft -00.  Especially list modifications caused by IESG [Discuss]
   votes.  Add the usual note that this part should be removed by the
   RfC editor in the final document - xml2rfc supports this kind of
   note, but I've never tested how.

I could easily have missed it, but I haven't found that to be a
requirement.  I do try to list the differences in the announcements and
I do provide diffs.  It isn't like I'm trying to hide the changes.

*  The RfC 2119 key words REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, and OPTIONAL are
   not used.  Probably irrelevant, but Bruce apparently checks this.

Uhmm...  I'm guessing this is a joke?

* "Checking other identities against SPF records is NOT RECOMMENDED"
 | Checking other identities against the SPF records defined in this
 | memo is NOT RECOMMENDED
   It's perfectly okay to check the PRA against spf2.0/pra policies,
   or a "submitter identity" against spf2.0/submit, etc.
=> Already reported in my -01pre2 nits.

This I-D, as stated in the abstract, deals with SPF version 1
records.  I'm not going to touch "spf2.0" records.  (Well, I won't
unless the SPF council says I should.)

* "many MTAs will still accept such things as source routes (see [RFC2821]
   appendix C), the %-hack (see [RFC1123]) and bang paths (see [RFC1983]).
   These archaic features have been maliciously used to bypass security
   systems."
   They MUST accept source routes, archaic or not, it's a MUST in 2821,
=> already reported in my -01pre2 nits.
   There's no special problem with the %-hack from the POV of SPF, the
   RHS behind the first unquoted "@" is the domain (or domain literal).
   Otherwise explain what you expect in this case.

Here is an example of something I applied form your -01pre2 list.  I
changed the %-hack reference to your suggested RFC1123.

As far as the %-hack not making any difference from the point of view
of SPF, I do not believe that is true in all cases.
backbone!cabal%schlitt(_dot_)net(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com is inherently
ambiguous about
which "domain" is being dealt with.  Different MTAs will respond
differently, often based on configuration options.  Where a bounce
would end up is anyone's guess.  I think it is worth a short sentence
to make sure that SPF implementors are aware of these kinds of issues.

*  2.5.4 "it should be made clear that text is not trusted."
 | it should be made clear who proposed this explanation.
   Maybe a bad case of DEnglish, I miss an article for the word "text".

You are right, there should be a "the" before "text".  I've changed
this to:
            If the information doesn't originate with the checking
            software, it should be made clear that the text is
            provided by the sender's domain.

Better?

(If you mentioned this in your -01pre2 list, I'm sorry I missed it.)

* "greylisting" where by the MTA can issue an SMTP reply code of 451
   My 1977 dictionary still has "whereby" in one word (?)

I think you are right.  fixed.  thanks.

*  client MAY also perform lookup of both types in parallel.
 ? client MAY also perform a lookup of both types in parallel.
 ? client MAY also look up both types in parallel.

I think the last suggestion is the best.

*  If for a domain both types are obtained but their contents do not
   match, the SPF client SHOULD return a "PermError" result.
 | match, the SPF client MAY return a "PermError" result.
   It could simply pick SPF before TXT and be done with it.  I still
   think that there can be valid reasons for different records, e.g.
   no exp= in the TXT version due to size limits.
=> Already reported in my -01pre2 nits.

The language dealing with the SPF vs TXT DNS RRs was hashed out
between MarkL and (unamed) "DNS gurus".  I don't see this as being
worth battling them on it, but I'm also not sure if the "DNS gurus"
will care.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about this.  What do others
think?

-wayne