Re: HELO versus MAILFROM results

2005-05-04 05:24:02
1.  The default overall result isn't defined for all cases
    in which the mailfrom and helo results don't match.

The way that I see it, if we're applying the same logic to HELO processing as we are to MAIL FROM:, then there wouldn't be any problem since a Fail or PermError to HELO would result in a 5xx response and a TempError would give a 4xx response. In either case, the transaction could not proceed, so a MAIL FROM: check becomes moot.

If HELO gives us a 2xx response (either from None, Pass, Neutral, or maybe even SoftFail), then I think that the result can be discarded and the MAIL FROM: check stands on its own. Most likely, the HELO domain and the MAIL FROM: domain would be different, so we can't really correlate the results between the two.

--Marc